Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.
This is my first time participating and I’m hoping to keep up with it weekly.
April 25: Top Ten Things That Will Make Me Instantly NOT Want To Read A Book (topic originally done back in 2013) — tell us all your book turn offs!
- Bad Reviews – If A book has been widely lambasted on the internet, especially by reviewers I follow and respect then I assume it will be a miss. Although I am drawn to books with mixed reviews, especially if the premise interests me e.g. The Selection.
- Overly complicated blurbs – Blurbs that launch into an immense amount of detail intimidate me. I like books with rich worlds, but I want to be eased into them gradually, like a nice warm bath.
- Multiple character perspectives – I avoid books with multiple POVs because I always find that one is better than the others and it is hard to get through the ones I don’t care about. The Girl on the Train and Empire of Storms are the only exceptions I’ve found to this rule.
- Suburban drama – The best books allow you to escape from reality and go on exciting adventures (in my opinion). If I wanted mum drama I would basically just keep living my life without any books.
- Rape – Never handled well. Don’t go there unless you or someone close to you has experienced the trauma of being raped and you are informed. Even then, tread carefully.
- Teacher/Student love stories – Never done well.
- Child Abuse – I don’t know what it is about becoming a mum, but I can’t stand seeing/reading about children in peril.
- Horror – I am a big coward when it comes to horror stories.
- Predictable love triangles – My biggest pet peeve in young adult fiction is a love triangle where the resolution is obvious. If I can tell how a love triangle will end just by reading the blurb then the book is a miss.
- Angel/Human romance – I don’t think I have ever read a good book where an angel/human romance has taken centre stage. Please let me know if have any recommendations!
Thanks for reading!
Feel free to post a link to your TTT and I will check it out.